Child Support Payment and Account Questions

I called the payment line and it says I got a payment, but it is not on my card or in my bank account. What happened and when will I get the payment?

  1. On the first day of every month, the state-wide child support computer system is in “read only” mode. No child support payments are disbursed on the first day of every month. This typically causes a delay in the disbursement of payments received on the last day of the month and the first day of the month. Payments posted to a case on the last or first days of the month are typically disbursed on the next business day following the first of the month.
  2. If there is pending litigation or an impound order, the payment could go on hold with the agency. The payments will be released to the appropriate person when the hold is terminated.
  3. If you are receiving a cash grant from public assistance (i.e. Ohio Works First (OWF)), then child support payments are due to the State of Ohio. If the children are receiving Medicaid benefits, then any cash medical support received will be paid to the State of Ohio. If child support is being paid, you may want to discuss with your local Department of Job and Family Services worker the option of terminating your cash benefits in order to receive your child support payments.
  4. If all of the money that was due to you for the month was paid, the payment may have been applied to administrative fees that were due and owing.

It’s close to the end of the month and my payment is less than it has been. Why?

One reason may be that the administrative fee was paid to the CSEA. Every child support case administered through the CSEA has a 2% administrative fee that was included in the child support order. The current support obligation is disbursed before administrative fees are paid.

What are the ways to receive my child support payments?

You may opt to have your payments direct deposited into a checking or savings account or the payments can be placed on an e-QuickPay® debit card.

Using either of these methods is faster, simpler and safer than receiving checks in the mail. There is no waiting for checks to arrive in the mail; no check cashing fees; no lost or stolen checks; no waiting in line to cash your check and if you have multiple cases, all of your support payments will be sent to the bank account or debit card.

What is e-Quick Pay?

The e-Quick Pay® card works like any other debit card; you can make purchases, obtain cash through bank tellers or ATM machines that display the MasterCard®, Maestro®, or Cirrus® brand marks. You can access your support payments at any merchant that accepts MasterCard®, Maestro®, or Cirrus® brand marks. You can use the card at a wide range of grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, retail outlets, medical service locations, pharmacies and various service centers and other locations worldwide.

What fees are associated with the e-Quick Pay Card?

  1. If you withdraw cash from a bank teller at any financial institution that displays the MasterCard® brand mark, you will not be charged a fee.
  2. If you withdraw funds from an ATM, a transaction fee of $0.75 is charged for each withdrawal. In addition, an ATM surcharge may be charged.
  3. An ATM surcharge is different than a transaction fee and the surcharge may or may not be charged when you use an ATM. You will be advised of this fee before it is charged.
  4. There is a $0.40 transaction fee for all ATM balance inquiries.
  5. Many retailers will offer cash back options with no charge when you make a purchase using your debit card and your PIN.

I need to activate my e-Quick Pay card or have general questions about my card. Who do I call?

  1. Call the e-Quick Pay customer service center at 1-800-503-1283.
  2. E-Quick Pay Debit Cards will be mailed to the address on file with the CSEA. Cards will not be forwarded to a different address by the post office. Therefore, it is important to keep your address updated with the CSEA at all times.

My employer has been taking payments from my check, but they are not showing on my case. What should I do?

Employers have 7 days from your pay date to remit payment to Ohio Child Support Payment Central (OCSPC). If it has been over 7 days and the payment is still not showing, please contact us, and if possible, bring us a copy of your pay stub.

I sent in a money order but I forgot to put my case number on it. What should I do?

Please call us and give us all information that you can about the money order (amount, date, name on the money order, where you bought it, etc) and we can research it so the payment may be applied correctly.

What types of payments are accepted at the Wayne County CSEA?

The Wayne County Child Support Enforcement Agency accepts cash payments (do not send cash in the mail) and credit and debit card payments during normal business hours. Credit and debit card payments can be made in the agency, by going to, or by calling 1-844-463-8915. Personal checks and money orders should be mailed directly to Ohio Child Support Payment Central (OCSPC) P.O. Box 182372, Columbus, Ohio 43218. Please have your 10-digit case number starting with a seven (7) and/or your social security number for all payments to ensure that your payment is applied without delay.

My child support case is in another county in Ohio and I want to make a payment. Can I make my payment at Wayne County CSEA for my other case in a different county?

Yes. The Wayne County CSEA will accept payments for your case in any county in the State of Ohio.

What is an arrearage?

An arrearage is any back due child support that is owed. The arrearage does not include the current month’s support obligation. Once the current month’s obligation is past due, then it becomes an arrearage. An obligor is in default status when their arrearage balance totals more than one month of current support. An obligor then remains in default status until the arrearage balance is paid to zero.

What are assigned/unassigned arrearages?

When payments are not made on a case, the obligation falls into arrears (past due support). If the custodial parent was on public assistance for that month, then the arrears would be due to the State of Ohio which means it is assigned to Ohio. If no cash grant was received for that month, the arrears would be due to the custodial parent which means they are unassigned.

How can I get a payment history print-out?

Effective August 1, 2012, the Wayne CSEA will no longer provide payment history print outs in most cases. Customers can now view and print current payment information, as well as payment histories for the last two years from their online account with the Ohio Child Support Customer Service Web Portal. Customers with active support cases can obtain an online account at The web portal gives customers real-time information about their child support accounts quickly, conveniently and securely.

If you do not have internet access, you may utilize public computers in local libraries, or visit the Wayne County CSEA for assistance with signing up or accessing the web portal.
Customers may also receive payment information over the phone by calling Ohio’s Child Support Interactive Voice Response System (IVR). This option provides customers with payment and balance information including the last payment and date received, current balances, arrearage (past due) balances, and a total balance due. Customers can contact the IVR at 1.800.860.2555.

What are futures?

When more than the balance due is received, and there is still a current support order on the case, any extra payments are typically sent to the obligee. This advance payment of support is known as “futures.”

Who is allowed to obtain case information or get questions answered for me when I am unavailable to contact the CSEA myself?

The CSEA adheres to strict confidentiality policies and procedures and we are prohibited from releasing case information to another person without written permission or signed consent from you. You can designate any trusted person to assist you with your child support matters, as long as the consent or written request is provided to the CSEA.

Paternity Establishment Questions

What is paternity and why is it important?

Paternity Establishment is the legal determination of fatherhood. Paternity establishment is important for many reasons, including legal rights and privileges. It can provide emotional, social and economic ties between the father and child. The child has the opportunity to develop a father-child relationship, and to develop connections and a sense of identity and family heritage with the “other half” of his or her family. In addition, the child may gain access to medical histories, inheritance rights, access to the father’s medical and life insurance benefits, and the child may qualify for certain benefits, such as social security and veteran’s benefits. Paternity must be established before a support obligation can be ordered.

Who can request genetic testing to establish paternity?

The mother, alleged father(s) or the child’s guardian can request testing through the CSEA. Genetic testing can be conducted if there is uncertainty as to the parentage of the child or if paternity is contested, provided there is not a final determination of paternity.

If an Acknowledgement of Paternity was signed as the hospital for the child, and you are now considering DNA testing, it is very important that you contact the CSEA quickly. The Acknowledgement of Paternity can be rescinded for 60 days after it has been signed. Once 60 days pass, the Acknowledgment of Paternity is final, and the CSEA will not be able to provide genetic testing services.

I am currently pregnant and will need to have DNA testing completed once the baby is born. What do I need to do to have this completed?

If you will be delivering at Wooster Community Hospital or Dunlap Community Hospital, let the nurses know that you are requesting DNA testing to be completed. You will need to contact the agency at (330) 287-5600 to make arrangements for our intake staff to complete testing during your hospital stay. This service is only provided Monday-Friday. If the possible father of the child is available, we can test him at that time as well. If we are unable to meet with you while you are at the hospital, you may come into the agency during agency hours to meet with our intake department and we will assist you in having testing completed.

I just had a baby and am currently married; however, my husband is not the father. How do I get his name removed from the birth certificate?

You will need to have DNA testing completed to exclude your husband and include the biological father. We can complete the DNA testing at a Wayne County hospital during your postpartum stay or during agency hours. Please contact us to make the necessary arrangements to complete the testing.

How is genetic testing conducted at the Child Support Enforcement Agency?

Genetic testing to establish paternity is conducted using buccal (oral, mouth, or cheek) swabs. The inside of the mouth is swabbed with an item similar to an ordinary cotton swab to collect DNA samples from the inside of the cheek. These swabs collect the DNA samples quickly and painlessly.

Buccal swabbing provides the same accurate results for paternity testing as using blood samples. Once the buccal swabs are collected, the samples are sent to an accredited lab to complete the analysis to determine whether there is at least a 99% probability of paternity or whether the male is excluded as a possible father of the child.

Wayne County CSEA has trained staff members to conduct DNA swabbing at all times during regular business hours.

How much does it cost to have paternity established through the Wayne County CSEA?

Paternity establishment is typically provided at no cost to a customer who signs a IV-D Application for Services with the Wayne County CSEA. Services are provided in the county in which the child resides.

What will happen if the individual does not appear in Wayne County for DNA testing and they reside in another county?

The individual can be scheduled for DNA testing in the county in which they reside.

How can I establish paternity for my child if the possible father passed away?

The CSEA will work on a case by case basis to determine if paternity establishment services can be completed. If an autopsy was completed, it is possible that a DNA sample may be available to be used to establish paternity. In some cases, it is possible to complete the genetic testing by obtaining DNA samples from the father’s relatives, including the father’s parents or siblings.

Who has legal custody of my newborn baby?

According to Ohio Law, an unmarried mother who gives birth has legal custody of her child.

If paternity and support orders are established, does that automatically give the parent visitation rights?

We recognize that parenting time is a very important matter between the parents and the child, and we encourage parents to work together to provide both the emotional and financial support needed for the well-being of a child. However, visitation/parenting time issues are matters handled by the court. The CSEA is unable to provide services related to the establishment of parenting time/visitation. The establishment of paternity or support does not provide automatic visitation/parenting time rights.

Child Support Establishment Questions

Why is Child Support important?

Child support makes a real difference in managing food, shelter, clothing, education, health care, entertainment and other expenses of a child. Some researchers find a correlation between consistent child support and improved school attendance, higher grade point averages and reduced behavioral problems. Children need the emotional and financial support of both parents.

What do I need to do to get child support started?

Please contact your local Child Support Enforcement Agency and request an Application for Services. Once the application is returned to the Agency, a review will be completed in 20 days to determine if a case will be opened for you. You will be notified by mail if the application is accepted or denied.

Do I have to get a Divorce or Dissolution before I can apply for child support services?

Yes, if the person is receiving a type of public assistance that requires compliance with the CSEA. Receipt of an Ohio Works First (OWF) cash grant and in some instances receipt of state medical benefits requires that the parent cooperate with the CSEA in establishing paternity and support orders. Non-cooperation could result in a delay or termination of your public assistance benefits. There are exceptions for the claim of Good Cause if establishment would cause physical or emotional harm to you or your child. If this is a concern, please contact the Wayne County CSEA to discuss your options and to receive more information about applying for a good cause exception to the requirement to cooperate.

How long does it take the CSEA to process a court order once it is received from the court?

Typically, the CSEA is able to record the order within 2 business days after the order is received from the court.

Am I able to appear for my hearing by telephone?

You may request to appear for your hearing by telephone. You must contact the CSEA and request a telephone hearing. You must also provide the CSEA with the telephone number where you can be reached at the time scheduled for the hearing to begin. If you are appearing via telephone, you must submit all documentation for the hearing before the hearing date.

What are Child Support Guidelines?

In order to establish consistency in child support orders, the federal government required states to use a child support guideline to calculate the support obligations of the parents. Ohio uses the Income Shares Model, which is a formula based on the premise that the child should be entitled to the same standard of living that the child would have enjoyed had the parents remained together.

Ohio’s guideline uses gross income figures from both parents, and calculates the amount of support that would be necessary based upon the parent’s combined income. The combined support amount is then allocated between the parents based upon their relative contributions to the income. For example, if one parent contributes 60% of the income and the other parent contributes 40% of the income, then the parent who contributes 60% of the income will also be responsible for providing 60% of the combined support amount for the child.

After adjustments for day care expenses and private health insurance costs, the parent designated as the non-residential parent will be responsible for paying their guideline support to the residential parent or caretaker.

Are child support recipients required to show how child support money is used?

While the financial responsibility of both parties is included in the guidelines calculation, child support recipients are not required to file financial reports or receipts to document the use of child support.

Review and Adjustment (Modification) Questions

Does the CSEA automatically review my support order?

No, except in limited circumstances, the CSEA does not automatically schedule a review of the support obligation. You are eligible for a review of your support order every 36 months or 3 years. You may qualify for a review sooner than 36 months if you have had a qualifying change in circumstances since the last review. If the support obligee (person who receives support) is receiving public assistance, the CSEA will automatically schedule a review of the support order. Please visit our Services page for more information about requesting a review and adjustment (modification) of your support obligation.

Do I need to provide proof of my situation with my Request for an Administrative Review of the Support Order (JFS 01849)?

If the reason why you are asking for the review requires supporting documentation, you must supply the documentation with the form or your request will be denied. You may also include a statement along with the forms to further explain your situation and why you are requesting the review and adjustment. Typically, if it has been less than 3 years since your support order was last modified or issued, you will be required to provide documentation supporting a qualifying change in circumstances.

Once I turn in my Request for an Administrative Review of the Support Order (JFS 01849), how long will it be before I will know if it has been granted or denied?

Once the CSEA receives your request for a review, the CSEA has 15 days to review the request. You will receive paperwork in the mail regarding whether your request was granted or denied.

Do I have to appear for the Administrative Review of the support obligation, and what happens during this initial review?

The initial scheduled date in the review and adjustment process is considered a “desk review.” You will find this date on the Administrative Adjustment Review Notification form (JFS 07606). On the date of your scheduled review, you are not required to be present.

At this stage in the review, the CSEA reviews all of the submitted information, and any other information available to it, and then issues a recommendation. Neither party is present for the initial desk review. Keep in mind that your support can be lowered, stay the same, or can be raised. There may also be changes in medical support. In addition, a payment on arrears may be changed or added if necessary.

When you receive the recommendation, be sure to review it closely for the changes.

If I don’t agree with the recommendation how long do I have to object?

It is important that you immediately request an administrative hearing if you disagree with the agency’s recommendations. If you disagree with the recommendation, you have 14 calendar days to request an administrative hearing. The CSEA’s recommendation will include information about requesting an administrative hearing.

Termination of Support Questions

Can I have my child support order terminated?

The CSEA can ONLY recommend termination of a Child Support Order for the reasons provided in Ohio Revised Code 3119.88:

  • The child turns 18 years old after withdrawing or graduating from high school
  • The child previously turned 18 years old and is no longer attending an accredited high school on a full time basis
  • The child’s death
  • The child’s marriage
  • The child’s emancipation
  • The child’s enlistment in the military
  • The child’s deportation
  • Change of legal custody of the child.

The CSEA may also be able to recommend the termination of the support obligation if the parents are no longer separated, are residing together and supporting the child together.

If your case meets any of the above circumstances, you may request termination of your support order by completing a Termination Affidavit or by submitting your request in writing to the CSEA.

How do I get a legal change in custody?

The CSEA is unable to provide assistance with changes in custody or allocation of parental rights and responsibilities. Please seek legal counsel for legal advice to resolve these issues. You may find these area resources helpful:

Wayne County Domestic Relations Court: In Wayne County, the Domestic Relations court has jurisdiction over cases involving divorce, dissolution, annulments, legal separations, spousal support and allocation of parental rights and responsibilities. Its website provides information about its rules and forms needed to file an action with the court.

Wayne County Juvenile Court: In Wayne County, the Juvenile Court’s jurisdiction includes cases involving support, custody, parenting time and parentage of a child with unmarried parents and cases involving the Wayne County Children Services Board. Its website provides information about its rules and forms needed to file an action with the court.

Akron Bar Association: Contact the Akron Bar Association at (330) 253-5038, 1(866) 687-5297, or, to obtain a referral to speak to an attorney. You can also speak to a volunteer attorney on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month between 9:00-11:00 am by calling the Akron Bar Association’s Ask an Attorney line at (330) 253-5007.

Wayne County Bar Association: You may visit their website at to obtain information and referrals to speak to an attorney.

For information about custody or parenting time (visitation) clinics available through the Legal Aid Society, contact (800)998-9454.


How do I object to the CSEA’s Recommendation for termination, continuation, redirection, or overpayment repayment?

You can object to Findings & Recommendations issued by the CSEA by completing and returning the last page of the Recommendations which says “REQUEST FOR ADMINISTRATIVE HEARING.” Once your timely request is received, the CSEA will schedule an Administrative Hearing to address your objections. If you no longer have the request form, you may also submit a written and signed statement that you want to file objections, so long as you are still within the objection timeframe.

What is the administrative objection process when the CSEA issues a recommendation regarding termination, continuation or redirection of a support obligation or recommends that an overpayment be repaid?

Findings and Recommendations:
Parties have 30 days to object to the CSEA’s Findings and Recommendations. If objections are not received, the CSEA’s Findings and Recommendations will become the Final Order of the court or CSEA.

Administrative Hearing Decision:
If objections are received to the CSEA’s Findings and Recommendations, an Administrative Hearing will be held at the CSEA. A Hearing Officer will hear both parties’ objections and statements and then issue an Administrative Hearing Decision. Parties have 30 days to object to the Administrative Hearing Decision. If neither party objects to the Administrative Hearing Decision, this decision will become the final order of the court or CSEA.

Judicial Order:
If objections are filed to the Administrative Hearing Decision, a Judicial Hearing will be scheduled by and held at the court house. A magistrate will hear both parties’ objections, testimony and evidence and then issue a decision and order.

What is an Impound Order?

An Impound Order is an order issued to give the CSEA authority to place a hold on sending out support payments that have been received. While an Impound Order is in effect, payments for the child addressed by the Impound Order will still be collected from the obligor (parent ordered to pay support); however, the payments will not be disbursed to the obligee (person ordered to receive support). Once an Impound Order is terminated, the CSEA will determine how the payments being held will be disbursed. Impound Orders are mainly used when a child is emancipating to prevent an overpayment to the obligee, or when the child support obligation is being redirected to a caretaker to make sure that the payments follow the child.


How does the CSEA address Overpayments?

Upon written request, excess payments (overpayments) totaling three months of the total monthly obligation or more can be subject to collection when support for all minor children has terminated. In addition, if the support is overpaid more than three months in advance, the CSEA may review the case to reduce the amount currently being withheld by the employer if payments are being received on a regular and consistent basis.

Enforcement Questions

What administrative enforcement measures can the CSEA take?

The CSEA utilizes a number of administrative enforcement tools when managing a support obligation. Such enforcement tools include:

  • Withholding child support from wages/earnings, unemployment benefits, workers’ compensation benefits, social security benefits, disability benefits, bank accounts, pensions and lottery winnings
  • Intercepting federal and state tax refunds
  • Reporting the delinquent parent to credit bureaus
  • Suspending drivers, recreational and professional licenses
  • Featuring delinquent parents on wanted posters
  • Freezing and seizing assets held in a financial institution through the Financial Institution Data Match Program (FIDM)
  • Placing liens on certain property
  • Issuing an order to require the obligor(parent ordered to pay support) to seek work
  • Passport denial when past due support is at least $2500

What is FIDM/Access Restriction?

The Financial Institution Data Match (FIDM) process is an enforcement technique that involves matching a delinquent obligor with his or her bank accounts at a financial institution. The Ohio Revised Code gives the county CSEA discretion regarding how to utilize the FIDM program.

Once a match is made, the CSEA sends the applicable forms to the obligor’s bank. If an obligor is the sole owner of a bank account subject to access restriction, no objections can be made. The CSEA issues access restriction paperwork, along with a withdrawal notice, to the obligor’s bank. The bank will “freeze” the account, and withdraw available funds up to the amount of the obligor’s arrearage (back due support). Once the money is withdrawn, the bank releases the hold on the account.

If there is an additional owner on an obligor’s bank account, the CSEA issues access restriction paperwork to the bank, and notifies the joint account holder of the action. The joint account holder has 10 days to object if all or some of the funds in the account belong to the joint account holder. If the joint account holder does not file objections, then the CSEA issues a withdrawal notice to the bank, and the bank withdraws available funds, up to the amount of the obligor’s arrearage (back due support). Once the money is withdrawn, or if the CSEA notifies the bank that the joint account holder’s funds should be released, the bank releases the hold on the account.


What are Lump Sum Payments?

  • A Lump Sum payment is any supplemental payment that an obligor is receiving or is eligible to receive from a payor. Examples of lump sum payments include bonuses, vacation payouts, profit sharing payments, and workers compensation payments.
  • Employers/payors who have received an Income Withholding Order for the obligor are required to notify the CSEA if a lump sum payment of $150 or more will be issued to the obligor.
  • If an arrearage is owed, an order will be issued to the employer to remit the lump sum payment to Ohio Child Support Payment Central to be applied to the child support obligation. If the lump sum is larger than the obligor’s arrearage, the obligor will receive any amount left over.

How do I report a change of address, employment or health insurance?

You may contact our customer service center at 330-287-5600 or 800-216-6636. You may also send your updates to the Wayne County CSEA, PO Box 217, Wooster, Ohio 44691.

When I call the Agency, why can’t I ever speak to my case worker?

The Wayne County CSEA Customer Service Center is staffed with two full-time case managers who are trained and prepared to assist you with all of your specific child support needs. These case managers are assigned to every child support case in the agency. Our enforcement case managers manage case loads of over 1,000 cases each, and their time is dedicated to taking actions needed to get support on a regular and consistent basis. The Customer Service case managers and the Enforcement case managers work very closely together to make sure that the appropriate actions are taken to meet the needs of each case.

Why do I have to fill out a Request for Services form every time I come into the Agency?

The Request for Services form provides the Agency a way to ensure that your personal case information is always up-to-date. It assists in bringing up your case information in the SETS system in a private, confidential manner and allows the staff to identify your needs in an expedited manner. In addition, it provides a record of any time you appear at the Agency and your purpose for visiting.

How soon will I receive child support monies from the obligor’s pay check?

Many circumstances impact when the support payments begin. An employer must begin withholding no later than the first pay period occurring fourteen business days after the date that the CSEA issues an income withholding order. The employer must then send the payment immediately or within seven business days of the paycheck. The entire process of issuing the income withholding order and the receipt of the first payment may take 3-4 weeks, and in some circumstances, even longer.

Who may claim the child for tax purposes?

The CSEA is unable to provide advice or assistance in determining the parent eligible to claim the child for tax purposes. Please review your court order and/or contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040,, or speak with your tax preparer.

Can past due support obligations be withheld (seized) from an IRS Tax Refund?

  • Yes. If an obligor owes more than $500 in back due support, and the case qualifies for Title IV-D services, then the obligor’s case information is automatically submitted to the IRS to have his/her tax refund seized.
  • Past due child support monies recovered from IRS tax refunds are applied to any monies owing to the state first. Any refund monies left after paying the arrears that are owed to the state would then be issued to obligee (person who receives support). Once all arrears are paid in full, any balance remaining from the tax refund will be issued to the obligor. For more information regarding the tax offset program, please review the Ohio Office of Child Support’s resource document on tax offset at:


Why was my IRS Refund taken for child support? I always pay current support and an additional amount for the past due support.

Regardless of compliance with the payments, if there are past due monies owing and the case qualifies for the Tax Offset program, the State will intercept the IRS/State Tax Refund monies. IRS refunds can be intercepted with $500 or more in past due monies, and State Tax Refunds can be intercepted with $150 or more in past due monies.

My case is arrears only and I am struggling with payments. Can you help me?

Please contact customer service at 330-287-5600 or come to the agency in person to see your caseworker. You can request in writing that the CSEA schedule an arrears payment review hearing which will determine your ability to pay the current arrears payment. You can also contact the agency to discuss entering into negotiation for a waiver & compromise regarding your arrears balance.

If the obligor (the parent ordered to pay child support) is not paying, may the residential parent deny that parent visitation/parenting time?

No. If there is a court order for visitation/parenting time, the residential parent may be in contempt of court for denying visitation/parenting time. Issues of child support and visitation/parenting time are separate, and denying visitation/parenting time rights is not a remedy for collecting child support. The CSEA does not have the authority to address visitation/parenting issues.

If the residential parent denies visitation/parenting time, may the obligor (the parent ordered to pay child support) stop paying child support?

  • No. If there is an order for child support, the obligor may be in contempt of court for failing to pay child support. The law provides remedies if visitation/parenting time is denied, but the obligor may not withhold the child support payments. The CSEA does not have the authority to address visitation/parenting time issues.
  • For more information about parenting time and developing fair and creative parenting schedules, check out the Ohio Supreme Court’s new resource, Planning for Parenting Time—Ohio’s Guide for Parents Living Apart (pdf).


  • Federal and state laws have created the National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) to help obtain health insurance for child support children.
    Health Plan Administrator is the person at the health insurance agency responsible for processing the National Medical Support Notice (NMSN).

    Medical Insurance (MI) obligor is the party that is required to provide private health insurance under a medical insurance order.

    Medical Insurance (MI) Order is the requirement within a child support order for one or both of the parents to provide for the health care needs of the child. This could include an order to provide private health insurance and/or an order to provide cash medical support when private health insurance is not available at a reasonable cost.

  • How is the NMSN used?
  • The Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) sends the NMSN to the employer of the medical insurance obligor when new or changed employment occurs. The employer must send the NMSN to the health plan administrator within 20 business days, unless the employer does not provide insurance. The health plan administrator will enroll the children within 20 business days after receiving the NMSN, unless there is a waiting period or there is more than one health insurance plan option. In those cases, enrollment takes place when the waiting period ends or the plan option is selected.
  • The NMSN requires the employer to enroll the children in any medical insurance it has available and withhold the premiums from the obligor’ paycheck. When the employer gets the NMSN, they will have to determine whether the amount of the child support order and the amount of the medical insurance premium, added together, will be more than the percent they are allowed to withhold under the federal Consumer Credit Protection Act. If the insurance and the child support together equal more than this amount your employer will not enroll your child(ren) in the medical insurance plan.
  • The NMSN will be sent to the employer even if the child is covered by the MI obligor’s current spouse’s insurance. If the children are being covered by alternative health insurance, the MI obligor can object to the issuance of the NMSN. Proof of the alternative coverage is required. In addition, the CSEA will also need to know the name, birth date, social security number, and address of the person providing the coverage.


The Notice of Medical Support Enforcement Activity (NMSEA) is the form sent to the MI obligor notifying him/her that the NMSN has been sent to the employer.

Can I object to the issuance of the NMSN/NMSEA?

The MI obligor has the right to object to the NMSEA and request an administrative mistake of fact hearing for one of the following reasons:
– Error in the identity of the parties to the support order or in the identity of one or more of the children listed on the NMSN
– The child support order authorizes the provision of health insurance coverage through an alternative group policy, contract or plan, and alternative coverage is in effect; or
– The coverage identified in the NMSN is not consistent with the medical support provision in the child support order.
If the objection is received timely, the CSEA will conduct an administrative mistake of fact hearing. The MI obligor has the right to object to the administrative mistake of fact hearing decision and request a court hearing. An objection form is attached to the administrative mistake of fact hearing decision.